The joint 4+1 Accelerated M.A. Program in the School of Politics and Global Studies is an accelerated degree program designed to enable highly qualified undergraduate students in the following on-ground majors to earn both a Bachelor of Arts/Science degree and a Master of Arts in Political Science degree in five years:
- BA in Political Science
- BS in Political Science
- BA in Global Studies
- BS in Politics and the Economy
*At this time, this 4+1 program is not designed to connect to the MA in Global Management or Global Security, or accommodate online-only undergraduate students. All graduate courses are held in-person on the Tempe campus.
Students accepted into the 4+1 program may apply up to 3 credits of 400-level coursework and 9 credits of 500-level coursework as “shared” courses, allowing the student to complete both degrees more quickly.
These degrees are designed to meet the needs of students pursuing careers in a variety of areas. Students completing the 4+1 program are well-positioned for application into a PhD or law program or enter the work force in a variety of fields. Within the MA in Political Science, each student may select a major field to study in-depth under the advisement of world-class faculty. Specializations include International Relations, Comparative Politics, and American Politics. Within these areas, a course of study can be individualized to each student in the program.
To be eligible for admission to the 4+1 program, a student must:
• be a declared, on-ground student in one of the four Bachelor’s degrees listed above at the time of application
• have accumulated at least 75 hours toward the undergraduate degree at the time of application; 90 hours are needed to begin the 4+1 program
• have completed (or be in the process of completing in spring) an in-person, 3-credit, 400-level POS course. Internship credits, independent study, and Junior Fellow courses are not eligible.
• have completed (or be in the process of completing at the time of application) POS 401 or SGS 401, Political Statistics
• have a minimum 3.6 cumulative GPA at the time of application. (Cumulative GPA earned at ASU, excluding transfer credits.)
• be on track to graduate with the undergraduate degree within two semesters after being accepted into the program (one calendar year after the acceptance date)
• identify a faculty mentor in the School of Politics and Global Studies to serve as a 4+1 advisor. Please see list of eligible faculty members here. 4+1 mentors must be tenured or tenure-track faculty in the School of Politics and Global Studies. Please verify on the SPGS website that mentors are Professors, Associate Professors, or Assistant Professors. Lecturers, Instructors, Faculty Associates, Professors of Practice, and faculty from other units are not eligible to serve in this role.
•complete an application packet and submit all materials by the April 1st deadline.
Students who do not meet these criteria may still apply to the M.A. in Political Science here, pending graduation with a BA or BS degree.
The deadline for submission of all application materials is April 1.